Thursday 25 April 2013

food!

Ahhh food.....
How I love you. 


I have been quite the domestic goddess lately, if I may say so myself! 

Some of the things I've made lately... 
Yoghurt
Labne
Butter (twice!)
A couple of amazing eggplant dishes
Banana bread
Raspberry white chocolate muffins
Roast chicken, and chicken stock
Risotto
Baked Quinces
The list goes on.....
I know everyone cooks, but I thought these dishes were particularly tasty :) 



 I made cultured butter using a recipe from The Gourmet Farmer's 'Deli Book'. I used organic raw cream, so it smelled a little bit strange but was very delicious! 
I also made the yoghurt using his recipe. It was nice, but not very strong flavoured, I think I prefer tangy, stronger yoghurt. 
I have been watching the Gourmet Farmer on dvd lately, I love it! It makes me really want to go to Tassie!! I keep day dreaming about frosty mornings on a farm, making scones with fresh cream and home made jam.... Ah maybe one day! 






Unsweetened Banana Bread

I saw this recipe on one of my favourite blogs, Green Kitchen Stories. I changed it a little bit, they put unsweetened pureed apples in as well but I didn't have any on hand, so I used extra bananas. It's not super sweet, but if you use really ripe bananas, they give it just enough sweetness. I also added the cacao nibs and the blueberries. The cacao nibs are a delicious addition!
It's quite a dense bread, more of a banana brick! They say to use olive oil but I prefer coconut oil or butter. 
It keeps for about a week in the fridge. 
Best enjoyed straight out of the oven or lightly toasted and smothered in yummy, good quality, salted butter :)

Here's my version:

2 cups spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
5 very ripe bananas
1/2 cup coconut or oat milk
3 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract 
3/4 cups walnuts
1/4 cup cacao nibs 
sprinkling of desiccated coconut
handful fresh blueberries

Method:
  • Preheat oven to 175 C.
  • Combine dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt).
  • In a separate large bowl, mash bananas with a fork. Add the milk, melted coconut oil and vanilla. 
  • Fold in dry mixture, then add nuts, cacao nibs and coconut. 
  • Pour into a loaf tin lined with baking parchment, and bake for about 1 hour and 20 mins, or until browned on top and cooked through. I think mine was in there for a while, because of all the banana it was hard to tell when it was cooked properly! 
Enjoy :)


Baked Eggplant with Quark and Pomegranate
I made this using a recipe from Yotam Ottolenghi's book Plenty. 

Quinoa, chickpea and mint salad:

1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed thoroughly
1 can chickpeas
handful chopped almonds
handful currants
1/4 red onion, finely chopped
1/2 bunch mint, finely chopped 
lemon juice 
olive oil
salt and pepper
Method
  • Cook quinoa using preferred method, I'm yet to find the perfect one..
  • Combine prepared ingredients in a large salad bowl
  • As a dressing I squeeze half a lemon, generous drizzle of olive oil, crack some salt and pepper and voila, a yummy, hearty salad! 

Happy Autumn feasting everyone, I wish I had heaps of homegrown fruit to be preserving! One day I will be writing blog posts about all my jars of preserved summer goodness :)

I'm looking forward to rainy-outside-doona-hot-chocolate days. Bring on the cold!

x Zannah








1 comment:

Pheasant said...

How divine! I've been cooking up a storm lately too, must be the cooler weather. I love hearing describe the misty farm mornings that I, too, long for.
Lovely :)