Monday 24 June 2013

1,812

if we could shed our skin






1,812 meters is how much pure wool it took to make this piece. It is just a bit taller than me. 
I spent the first 8 or so weeks of the semester trying to figure out what to do. I was sketching a bit and doing some paintings but nothing really got me going. I got so frustrated and kept thinking maybe I'm in the wrong course. Then one day I had my aha moment and it came to me. I decided to do some crochet work. 
It really is worth all the self doubt and stress and frustration when you have a moment of clarity, a moment where you realise that you can do this, you are doing what you wanted to do, it's ok to do something a little bit different, a little bit strange, a moment of inspiration. 
It seems to come to me more naturally than drawing or painting and I can just sit there for hours and hours with wool and hook.  
I did this piece in 6 weeks before assessment.. I always seem to spend so much time trying to figure out what to do, then finally find it just in time. 




This one I made first, as a little trial. 



I wanted to put some of my work up on my blog because I've mostly been posting about food and as much as I love food, I also love wool work.

At the moment I'm knitting stripy socks for Brendon if they fit him, (they were going to be for me but he wants them now) and the other day I knitted a beanie for myself which I am appreciating very much in this oh so cold wintery weather.

Next on my knitting list are:
A beanie for Dad, a beanie for Brendon, a jumper for Brendon, socks for me, socks for Freya, socks for Olive.
I got some good sale wool from morris and sons last week which makes all this possible. Yay!

Haven't the days been glorious, and the nights freeeeeeezing! Perfect movie watching weather.
I saw Tiny Furniture the other night with Olive...... any girls fan will know what it is ;)

I'm off to tassie on the weekend, it is going to be so cold! Then mallacoota for a week and a bit. I'm so excited!

x zannah

No comments: