Wednesday 12 December 2012

soap and things.




I've been thinking for a while it would be nice to make soap.
For christmas presents, and to just have at home. I did some research on the internet and borrowed a soap recipe book from a friend, but I find the caustic soda part of it all a bit overwhelming... seems a bit scary and I don't really have all the equipment, so I went to the aromatherapy factory outlet in north fitzroy to find some more info. The lady there was really helpful, I got a soap powder which is basically the scary part taken care of, it's just the basic soap base ground to a powder, then you add your own essential and vegetable oils, some water and textures or colours if you like. 
It's so easy, I feel like I cheated a bit.. maybe one day I'll do it right from scratch. 


250g soap powder
100ml water 
60ml olive oil
about 40 drops pure lavender essential oil



 You just mix it in a big bowl with a spatula, then get a handful and really work it, knead it like dough for quite a while. Then roll it into a ball or any shape and cover it in herbs or seeds, I used lavender flowers. Then let them sit on some baking paper for about 3 days. 
It turns out so white, I think next time I'll add some colour, maybe a clay powder or some turmeric or something to make it look more of a natural colour.
I'm so picky with soap, hopefully I like these ones! I guess I'll find out in a couple of days. I might do some more next week, maybe rose or orange or cinnamon..





I got my dried flowers from Gewurzhaus spice merchants on Lygon street. Beautiful shop, I love the little drawers full of herbs and spices. 


Before I go off to the beach, here's a nice recipe for apple rhubarb crumble I made the other night. I didn't have any butter so I used coconut oil instead, which was nice, and good if you're vegan.

2 granny smith apples
1 bunch rhubarb
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup almond meal
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup coconut sugar
pinch salt

I stewed the fruit, melted the coconut oil, then just mixed all the crumble ingredients and poured it over the fruit in a nice baking dish and put it in the hot oven for about half an hour. Y U M! 
Delicious served with some double cream or sheeps yoghurt, or CoYo if you're that way inclined. 

Now I'm off to the fruit peddlers to get holiday food supplies, pick up a takeaway from Carolina, then go to Ladybird Organics to pick strawberries, then to the beach for a swim, then make strawberry jam! oh myyy goodness! 



P.s my faaavourite blogger Kate from Foxs Lane featured some of my paintings on her blog a few weeks ago, she wrote the most lovely things...made me want to cry and laugh and smile all at the same time! check it out here if you like 

x Zannah


1 comment:

Unknown said...

good morning Zan, that was such a beautiful way to start my morning. i just crossed over from Facebook and found this very refreshing. Happy soap making and also happy beach going. love love x